|Attendance – not available yet
Dress Codes – not available yet
|No Child Left Behind – not available yet
School Health – not available yet
• A Policymaker’s Primer on Education Research: How to Understand, Evaluate, and Use It
This primer from the Education Commission of the States (ECS) and Mid-continent Research for Education and Learning (McREL) is designed to help policymakers identify and evaluate educational research. It is also designed to “stand on its own as a useful reference for those who would like to gain a deeper understanding of education research methodology.”
• The Education Pipeline in the United States, 1970-2000 (January 2004)
This report presents “results of analyses of data on grade enrollment and graduation over the last several decades both nationally and for all 50 states.” Produced by the National Board on Educational Testing and Public Policy.
• Organizational Improvement and Accountability: Lessons for Education from other Sectors (2004)
This report from the Rand Corporation examines “models of accountability in sectors other than education. The goal of the investigation was to understand how such models work and their applicability to education.”
• Profiles of For-Profit Education Management Companies (February 2004)
“The 2003-04 Profiles report is the sixth annual report on for-profit education management companies.” Produced by the Commercialism in Education Research Unit of the Education Policy Studies Laboratory.
• Trends and Best Practices for Education Management Organizations
“This paper examines the interplay of EMOs in the context of contemporary American public schooling, and in so doing, seeks to understand their recent emergence and possible future.” Produced by WestEd.
• Who Is Leading Our Schools? An Overview of School Administrators and Their Careers
From the RAND Corporation, “our research was directed at understanding what existing data and research can tell us about the individuals who hold formal positions of responsibility and authority, as currently defined, in schools.”
• Turning Around Low Performing Schools
A collection of resources for state leaders from the National Governor’s Assocation, including “Reaching New Heights: Turning Around Low-performing Schools – A Guide for Governors”.
• Safe and Sound
An Education Leader’s Guide to Evidence-Based Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) Programs The guide reviews 80 multiyear, sequenced SEL programs designed for use in general education classrooms. Safe and Sound also offers guidance to educational leaders on how to integrate normally isolated or fragmented efforts with other school activities and academic instruction by providing a framework for “putting the pieces together.
• Creating a School Community
This article from the journal Educational Leadership asserts that building a strong sense of community in schools is both important and doable.
• A Matter of Definition: Is There Truly a Shortage of School Principals?
“…although some districts experience trouble filling vacancies in the principal’s chair, there are far more people certified to be school principals around the nation than jobs for them to fill.” A report from the Center on Reinventing Public Education.
• Responding to Hate at School
Responding to Hate at School is designed to help administrators, teachers and counselors react promptly and effectively to all bias incidents, and to involve students, as well as parents and community leaders, in finding solutions to underlying tensions.
• Standards for School Leaders
These standards are provided by the Council of Chief State School Officers.
http://www.ccsso.org/Projects/ interstate_school_leaders_licensure_consortium/ standards_for_school_leaders/562.cfm
• Clearinghouse on Educational Policy and Management
This clearinghouse site includes a wealth of online information covering a variety of trends, issues, and hot topics in educational management.
This website for educational administrators focuses on providing networking opportunities such as chat rooms, message boards, etc. The site also features job listings and a products catalog.
• Leading Learning Communities: Standards for What Principals Should Know and Be Able To Do
“A comprehensive handbook designed to guide elementary and middle level principals in crafting their responsibilities in key instructional areas.” Published by the National Association of Elementary School Principals.
• Learning to Lead, Leading to Learn: Improving School Quality through Principal Professional Development
Strengthening the skills and knowledge of the nation’ s100,000 principals is likely to have more immediate payoff in raising student performance than any other area of school improvement because it is central to raising standards, improving teacher quality, and holding schools accountable for results, according to a report by the National Staff Development Council (NSDC).
• Leadership for Student Learning: Reinventing the Principalship (October 2000)
This report “illuminates why principal leadership matters, how specific problems threaten principal leadership and how leaders can address the principalship crisis.” Prepared by the Institute of Educational Leadership.
• Is There a Shortage of Qualified Candidates for Openings in the Principalship?
“An exploratory view of the issues involved with attracting qualified candidates to the principalship.” Prepared by the Educational Research Service for the National Association of Elementary School Principals and the National Association of Secondary School Principals.
• The Key Work of School Boards
“This website outlines the role of school boards as they work with their communities and district professionals.” Presented by the National School Board Association.
• Directory of Organizations in Educational Management
A searchable database of service and research organizations in the field of educational management.
• Protecting the Privacy of Student Records: Guidelines for Education Agencies
Many members of the education community have access to confidential information. This US Department of Education document addresses the need for the members of the education community to understand their legal responsibilities and to develop procedures to maintain the privacy of student records.
• Pathways to School Improvement: Governance/Organizational Management
Discussion of critical issues in educational management including finance, reform, and site-based management.
• Grade Configuration: Who Goes Where?
This booklet is meant “to increase awareness and understanding of grade span as an issue, provide examples of ways schools have addressed concerns associated with particular grade spans, and suggest avenues for further inquiry.” Provided by the Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory.
• Thinking Differently: Recommendations for 21st Century School Board/Superintendent Leadership, Governance, and Teamwork for High Student Achievement
By Richard H. Goodman and William G. Zimmerman, Jr
Explores and provides recommendations for school board/superintendent team leadership and how this can contribute to higher student achievement. Published by the Educational Research Service and the New England School Development Council.
• New Leader’s For Tomorrow’s Schools (Spring 1997, Volume 4, Issue 1)
This issue, “Educating for Democracy”, focuses on democratic schools and education as democracy.
Extensive information on student transportation issues, including safety, statistics, discussion forums, position papers, related government resources, more.
• The School Administrator Web Edition
An online edition of the journal published by the American Association of School Administrators.
• Education Policy Analysis Archives
Full text articles on education policy at all educational levels worldwide.
• The International Electronic Journal for Leadership in Learning
The IEJLL is a refereed electronic journal intended for a broad audience of persons interested in leadership in learning. Its audience includes members of government education departments, school boards, school councils, faculties of education, parent organizations, and school staffs.
• ICP Online
The official site of the International Confederation of Principals. Includes feature articles and information on conferences, employment, and education news.
• ERIC Digest: Mistakes Educational Leaders Make (1998)
• ERIC Digest: Leadership for School Culture (1994)
Discussion group for administrative practitioners helping other administrators share ideas.
To subscribe, address an e-mail message in the following manner:
subscribe K12ADMIN YourFirstName YourLastName
• Administrators Chatboard at Teachers.net
• American Association of School Administrators
1801 North Moore Street
Arlington, VA 22209
• Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
1703 North Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311-1714
Toll Free: 1/800/933-ASCD
• Consortium for Policy Research in Education
Contains extensive resources on school finance issues, including full text publications on finance topics, state and local reform issues, and links to additional resources.
Wisconsin Center for Education Research
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1025 W. Johnson Street Room 653
Madison, WI 53706