• Starting a Volunteering Project in your School
From Idealist.org, this site provides teachers with articles and information about service learning, as well as practical hints for starting a volunteer initiative at your school.
• Learning In-Deed: The Power of Service Learning for American Schools
“The National Commission on Service-Learning challenges the country to ensure that every child in a primary and secondary school participates in quality service-learning every year as an integral and essential part of the American education experience.” Available as a pdf document.
• Learning In-Deed
“The W.K. Kellogg Foundation in 1998 launched Learning In Deed, a national initiative to engage more young people in service to others as part of their academic life.” This site includes a large collection of resources for service-learning policy and practice in American schools.
• Student Participation in Community Service Activity (April 1997)
This report examines data from the 1996 National Household Education Survey, Youth Civic Involvement component, in which students in grades 6 through 12 were asked about their participation in community service activities. Additionally, youth were asked about some of the ways that schools might encourage community service participation and integrate it with classroom learning.
• Issues Page: Community Service
Education Week’s overview of service learning. Includes links to related articles and online resources.
• Service Learning Network
This online newsletter is provided by the Constitutional Rights Foundation.
• Network for Good
This site helps users locate volunteer opportunities in their area, and provides information on “how to be an online activist.”
• ERIC Digest – Civic Education Through Service Learning
• ERIC Digest – Service Learning: More Than Community Service
• ERIC Digest – Service, Social Studies, and Citizenship: Connections for the New Century
An electronic forum for the discussion of service-learning among administrators, practitioners, researchers, and students.
To subscribe, address an e-mail message to: email@example.com
In the body of the message type: Subscribe K12-SL (First Name Last Name)
• National Service-Learning Clearinghouse
PO Box 1830
Santa Cruz, CA 95061
Phone: 1-866-245-SERV (7378)
• Corporation for National Service
1201 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20525