• Sex Education in America (February 2004)
Reports on the results of a recent poll by NPR, the Kaiser Family Foundation, and Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government on sex education in schools. Results are organized by public/parents and principals.
• With One Voice 2003: America’s Adults and Teens Sound Off About Teen Pregnancy
An overview of an annual survey conducted by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. This report “provides complete results of the survey, the exact wording of the questions used, and year-by-year comparison data when available.”
• National Survey of Adolescents and Young Adults: Sexual Health Knowledge, Attitudes and Experiences
This report examines what kinds of pressure young people face to be sexually active and how they handle the pressure; what they know about HIV/AIDS and STDs; what they know and how they feel about contraception and protection; and what sources inform and influence their decision making.
• The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Promote Sexual Health and Responsible Sexual Behavior (June 2001)
“On June 28, Surgeon General David Satcher unveiled science-based strategies which he said represent an effort to find “common ground” upon which the nation could work to promote sexual health and responsible sexual behavior.”
• The Effectiveness of Abstinence Education Programs in Reducing Sexual Activity Among Youth (2002)
This report from the Heritage Foundation provides an overview of the consequences of early sexual activity and highlights a few successful abstinence programs.
• Towards a Sexually Healthy America: Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Programs that Try to Keep Our Youth “Scared Chaste” (2001)
This report provides an overview of the harm of abstinence-only-until-marriage curricula and reviews nine of the most widely available junior high and senior high programs.
• SIECUS: Sexuality Information and Education Council of the US
A national, private, nonprofit advocacy organization which affirms that sexuality is a natural and healthy part of living. Incorporated in 1964, SIECUS develops, collects, and disseminates information, promotes comprehensive education about sexuality, and advocates the right of individuals to make responsible sexual choices.
• Coalition for Positive Sexuality
Geared towards teens with information on safe sex, birth control, pregnancy, STDs, etc.
Also includes an online forum and question and answer service.
“The purpose of this site is to provide a safe, educational and fun place for teenagers to learn about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and their sexual health.” Provided by the American Social Health Association.
“Our experts, trained health communication specialists, are waiting to answer your questions about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).”
Intellectual Discussion on Issues Related to Sexuality.
To subscribe, address an e-mail message in the following manner:
sub SEXTALK YourName
• American Social Health Association
P.O. Box 13827
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Voice: (919) 361-8400
Fax: (919) 361-8425
• The Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction
Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: (812) 855-7686