• U.S. Department of Education — Office of Non-Public Education
Located with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Intergovernmental and Interagency Affairs.
• Private School Universe Survey, 1999-2000
This report on the 1999-2000 Private School Universe presents data on private schools with grades kindergarten through twelve by selected characteristics such as school size, school level, religious orientation, geographic region, community type, and program emphasis. Available in pdf.
• The Regulation of Private Schools in America: A State-by-State Analysis (June 2000)
Provides a concise summary of the state laws affecting private schools. Regulations for each state are presented under five general categories: record keeping and reports, licensing/registration/accreditation, health and safety, curriculum, and public funding.
• Public and Private Schools: How Do They Differ? (1997)
Includes an examination of the differences between public and private schools, characteristics of students and teachers in both settings, comparisons of selected aspects of organization and management, and differences in academic and support services. From the Condition of Education 1997.
• Advanced Telecommunications in U.S. Private Schools: 1998-99
Presents the data from a nationally representative survey of advanced telecommunications in private schools during the 1998-99 school year. Presents information by school characteristics and compares with public school data. Available in pdf.
• Computer and Internet Access in U.S. Private Schools and Classrooms: 1995 and 1998
This NCES Issue Brief provides new data on the status of Internet access in private schools and makes comparisons over time and with public schools. Available in pdf.
• Private School Chatboard at Teachers.net
• National Association of Independent Schools
1620 L Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036