Lesson Plan #:AELP-ANM004
Author: Karen Creekmore, McCreary County Preschool, Pine Knot, KY 42635
Endorsed by: Dr. Kwabena D. Ofori-Attah, Cumberland College, Williamsburg, Kentucky Date: 1994
Grade Level(s): Kindergarten, 1, 2
OVERVIEW: The students will gain knowledge in the area of ocean life. PURPOSE: The students will be able to identify pictures of animals verbally. The students will be able to match animal pictures.
OBJECTIVES: The students will:
- (1) identify three animals that live in the ocean
- (2) match sets of animal pictures
- (3) complete an ocean animal floor puzzle with other students
- (4) learn songs relating to ocean animals
- (5) compare different animals to ocean animals
- (6) in blocks, build an ocean with blocks and animals
- (7) in sand and water, the students will manipulate ocean animals
- (8) on computer match animals
- (9) draw an ocean picture
RESOURCES/MATERIALS NEEDED: Resource books, animal pictures, animal cards, toy animals, stuffed animals, markers, paper, video of ocean animals, songs about ocean animals.
- (1) Show pictures of animals from different habitats.
- (2) Discuss where they live.
- (3) Read a story about the ocean.
- (4) Students may bring a stuffed ocean animal for show and tell.
- (5) Practice songs during circle time.
- (6) Practice songs in the music center.
- (7) Match animal pictures in manipulative.
- (8) Discuss where different animals live.
- (9) In art, draw a picture of an ocean animal.
- (10) In library, look at books and ‘read’.
- (11) At puppet stage, perform a skit.
- (12) In science center, have different ocean items (coral and plastic animals)
- (13) In small groups complete an ocean floor puzzle.
- (14) During outside time, pretend to be an ocean animals.
TYING IT ALL TOGETHER:
- (1) Complete a mural with animals made in art to hang in outside hall.
- (2) Perform songs for parents at parent night..
- (3) Watch movie of ocean animals.
- (4) Individually have students name three ocean animals from pictures.