Lesson Plan #:AELP-RDG002
Submitted by: Pat Lanesey
School/University/Affiliation: St.Joseph College Date: November 24, 1998
Grade Level(s): 3, 4, 5, 6
- Language Arts/Reading
- Social Studies/Multicultural Education
Description: This lesson integrates reading with social studies by introducing children to other cultures of the world. Students will read and write about similar and different cultures from their own.
Goals: Students get a realistic view of the lives of other children around the world, and utilize the book as a comparison model as they develop stories about themselves.
Objective(s): Students will create a self-descriptive page similar to those found in the book. Students will complete a Venn diagram illustrating the similarities and differences between themselves and one child in the book.
- Several copies of the book Children Just Like Me by Barnabas and Anabel Kindersley. (1995). NY: Dorling Kindersley Publishers.
- chart paper and heavy paper
- photographs of students (taken in class or at home)
- objects that students have brought in from home
- camera and film
- various writing and drawing utensils
Assessment: Assessment is of the understanding of the lesson through examination of the completed Venn diagrams and the students’ created pages.