Lesson Plan #: AELP-SFY0016
Submitted by: Marlana Marasco
School/University/Affiliation: Penn State University Date: March 28, 2000
Grade Level(s): 3, 4, 5, 6
Duration: 40 minutes
Description: This lesson plan teaches children about the contents of a First Aid Kit and each item’s use.
Goals: The goal of this lesson is to have students demonstrate their ability to access valid health information and health promoting products. It will make students aware of how to deal with emergency situations and what products to use.
Objectives: Students will:
1. become more aware of the contents and uses of a First Aid Kit.
2. identify common items found in a First Aid Kit by working in small groups.
3. identify situations in which it is appropriate to use items in a First Aid Kit.
Materials: a number of First Aid Kits and a variety of other materials to use in the lesson (these will be used as fillers for one of the activities)
Split students into groups of 4-6. Have them brainstorm items that they think they would find in a First Aid Kit. Then ask for some examples and write them on the board.
Introduce students to items in a First Aid Kit by actually showing them one. Run through the names of each item and what each item is used for.
Have the students split back into their groups. You need a First Aid Kit for each group. Uncover a desk for each group, on it will be the contents of a First Aid Kit along with some other items. The students must sort through these materials and find all items that belong in a First Aid Kit and put them in the Kit.
Now each group will identify each item’s specific use. Each group will have a stack of note cards with scenarios on them. From these scenarios, they must decide which item(s) from their First Aid Kit they would use. They should place the item with the note card. Example: One of your friends cuts their leg and it begins to bleed. You need to help them clean the wound. What do you need to use, from the First Aid Kit, to protect yourself from the blood? Answer: Rubber Gloves
Students will now look at their original list that they constructed during the Trigger Activity. Have the students compare and contrast their list to the actual contents of a First Aid Kit based on what they now know. This can be done through a class discussion.
1. Each group should compile a First Aid Kit. Teacher will walk around the room to evaluate each group.
2. Each group should correctly match the items in a First Aid Kit with their uses. Teacher will walk around the room to evaluate each group.
3. Each member of the class should contribute to the discussion. They should compare their original thoughts to what they learned. This will be based on teacher observations.
Useful Internet Resource:
* First Aid Kit