Lesson Plan #: AELP-SPN000
Submitted by: Janice Jolly
School/University/Affiliation: Gardner Middle School Date: June 16, 2000
Grade Level(s): 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, Adult/Continuing Education
- Foreign Language/Spanish
Duration: Four 45-minute sessions Description: The students will decorate the classroom like a department store, including prices in pesos. Afterwards, the students will prepare skits of varying lengths using the department store they have just created.
Goals: A goal of this activity is for students to use the foreign language in a creative, but realistic way. Another goal is for students to work together in both decorating the room and presenting the skits. The students will also role-play various parts for the skit.
Objectives: The students will work in groups to decorate the classroom in order to create a department store. The students will present oral skits to go along with the department store theme, thereby practicing new vocabulary about a department store and reviewing already-taught vocabulary and structures.
- construction paper
1. Divide class into groups to decorate the room into a department store (which the students have already named).
2. Each group will be assigned a department for which they will make 10 items, along with labels in the foreign language and prices in its currency. For instance, there will be women’s wear, sporting goods, toys, and other departments.
3. Divide the students into groups now to present skits in the foreign language according to teacher-made situations. For instance, newly-weds go shopping for furniture and end up having their first fight. The clerk in the furniture department needs to handle this matter and try to sell something too.
4. The students have one day to prepare their skits in class and may even come up with appropriate costumes.
5. The students present their skits for the class without notes. Assessment:
1. Students will receive a quiz grade for the decorating part of this activity. The grade includes the items made, labels, price tags, and placement around the room.
2. Students will receive a test grade for the skits to accompany their decoration grade. Teacher must make a rubric for grading both parts.