Lesson Plan #:AELP-EDT0003
Submitted by: Eydie Scher
School/University/Affiliation: Horner Junior High School, Fremont, CA Date: 1994
Grade Level(s): 7, 8
- Computer Science
Duration: 10 class periods Objectives:
- multiple computers; printer
- software: word processing, desktop publishing
- Ask the students to name a fairy tale and its heroes and villains.
- Have the students make changes to their stories by making the villains good and the heroes bad. Or, have them create original fairy tales.
- Have the students key their stories into the computer, print out drafts, and make corrections.
- Have the students choose pictures to illustrate their stories, paste the pictures into their stories, and make photocopies of the illustrated stories for the class.
- Have the students who finish first use the desktop publishing software to create a cover for their story booklets.
Follow-Up/Extension: Distribute the booklets to the class and have the stories read out loud. Send the booklets home for the parents’ comments.
Additional Notes: Special Education students, if they can’t compose on paper, can often relate stories orally. Teachers, aides, or parent volunteers can help type their stories into the computer.