Lesson Plan #:AELP-MUS0010
Submitted By: Talley Moon
Endorsed By: Don Descy
Mankato State University Date: May 7, 1998
Students will learn various songs using the Rote method. The Rote method has two parts. Students can learn a song by verse, or the whole. This lesson will help you to teach a short song using the Whole Song Rote method.
Grade Level(s): Kindergarten, 1, 2, 3
Goal: Students will learn to sing a new song.
The student will be able:
This is an activity that can be done by the regular classroom teacher.
The teacher can sing the song, or play it on tape, or CD.
The students will be able to recognize the differences between their singing and speaking voices.
- One, short, song. (CD or Tape)
- CD or Tape Player
1. Gather the students into the large group area.
2. Introduce the song. Tell the students one interesting fact about the song.
3. Sing the whole song to the class. (or use CD/tape).
4. In a large group discussion, talk about the song.
5. Sing the song, or play it, one more time. Have the students listen to the rhythm and different pitches.
6. Have the students sing the whole song with you.
7. Let the students have the opportunity to sing the song without the teacher.
While the students are singing, walk around the room and listen to the voices of individual students to hear the different pitches. Have the students sing the song the following day