Lesson Plan #: AELP-ARA0035
Submitted by: Lisa Kermes
School/University/Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown Date: January 31, 2000
Grade Level(s): 1, 2, 3, 4
- Arts/Visual Arts
Duration: 45 minutes Description: Create a Valentine vase to brighten up your room with heart flowers.
Goals: The students will:
1. create one of many Valentine projects in the next few weeks.
2. appreciate the meaning of Valentine’s Day at the conclusion of the unit.
Objectives: The students will be able to follow directions to glue the pieces in the correct places to complete the project
- pre-cut stems: two 5 and one 3
- leaf patterns (teacher-created)
- vase pattern (teacher-created)
- three different size heart patterns (not too big)
Procedure: Get one of each size heart and cut out. Should have one pink flower and two red flowers. Get the vase and leaves to cut out. Throw all scraps away at this time. Make sure you have three heart, one vase and three leaves before you throw anything away. Pass out stems.
Time for gluing: first glue the stems to the vase, then glue the hearts to the stems, last glue the leaves to the stems. Make sure the smallest heart is in the middle and in the front. Once finished, hang to brighten the room with a colorful display of Valentine flowers.
Assessment: The students will be evaluated on following directions and participation.